Write this down: The key to more focus and confidence is to shatter procrastination.
Whether you are a business owner or a professional who helps make a business run smooth, chances are, you wear a lot of hats.
It seems like EVERYTHING is vying for our attention. Even when we think we have the perfectly laid out plan, rabbit holes and shiny objects love to steer us off our course.
Before we know it, overwhelm mode kicks in. Instead of getting back on track, we spiral down further down the path of procrastination.
I have known people who live in this vicious cycle, day in and day out. In fact, I used to look at the person in the mirror.
Three years ago, I looked like a rockstar on paper. I had a dream job, a brand-new marriage and two beautiful gift daughters.
But, deep down inside, I was a workaholic, over weight, tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and I was pretty convinced that I was going to divorce court for the second time before I was thirty-five.
Why? I lacked a clear plan. I was saying "yes" to everything but not super clear on what I stood for.
I also I didn't feel like I had the right support. But then again, I never trusted anyone to ask for help. On top of that, I felt like everyone else’s opinion mattered before mine.
My life controlled me. I was on auto pilot. I wasn’t fulfilled and it sucked.
But, my life transformed when I started committed to another way of doing things (i.e. someone else’s proven process to help me get from where I was to where I wanted to go).
I also changed my circles of influence. I had some wild characters that were more interested in where happy hour was than where their life purpose was meant to serve.
Being more focused also meant I needed to take the necessary daily action (or preparation) to accomplish the things I wanted to achieve.
So, how does any of this help you? Well, here are five ways to get you more focused, stop procrastining, and boost your confidence:
1. Hang out with good people: Are you hanging around a bunch of people that are the first to tear down any bit of awesomeness you've got going for you? Your number one defense in keeping your focus (and sanity) is to align yourself with people who want to see you thrive.
If family and co-workers are the biggest thorns in your side, what can you do to limit the amount of interaction you have with them? Write this down and commit to this plan. Although you may not be able to control the actions of other people, be sure you are setting an example for other's by being a good person.
2. Ditch the television: In my former life, the 24/7 news channels ruled the airways on all three televisions in my home. On the rare occasion that I would get the remote control, I would turn the channel to some "real bad dance gypsy family" reality show. Ugh...I was completely poisoning my mind and freaking wasting my time!
Two years ago, I did "all media" cleanse for a week. It was the most liberating and productive way for me to honor my time. Today, I don't turn on the television (period) and I rarely have the radio on. I'm not suggesting that you cut all media from your life, but try eliminating one form that doesn't do much to serve you and your current areas of focus.
3. Create the ideal routine: The biggest concern I hear from busy professionals: they wish they had some magical plan or an ideal calendar to keep their life more focused. Now, when I ask this same professionals if they have ever taken the time create the ideal routine, they sheepishly say "no".
If you don't know where you are going, it doesn't matter which path you take. If it seems overwhelming to create your ideal weekly routine, start with mapping out what the "ideal" looks like on the weekends...or on a Tuesday. Take ownership of it somewhere, starting today, and then go from there.
4. Write s#!t down: I'm not talking about the mile long, "ain't nobody goin' get through that big 'ole list of busy work" to-do list, either. In my work as a coach, I am committed to help people cut the anchors that hold them back from creating the life and business they desire.
It’s important to ask: Why do I keep procrastinating or losing focus? Why do I avoid new experiences? Or, make new friends? Or, go to the gym? Why do I second guess my ability? Why do I fear____? Persistence trumps resistance when you drop the excuses of why you ain’t doing what you KNOW you need to do. The answers to some of your blind spots are usually revealed through consistent writing exercises.
5. Fuel Yourself: What are you fueling your mind, body and spirit with? Reading and doing things to challenge your mind are vital to fueling your focus. Think of it as getting a "physical trainer" for the brain.
All work and no play will definitely kill your focus mojo. You know what else takes you off course? Dehydration and being "hangry". It took some time to adjust but I eat five to six small meals a day to keep my blood sugar levels evened out. I also budget time for breaks so I can recharge, throughout the day.
At the end of the day, mastering your focus takes daily practice. We must be patient with the process.
What was the most impactful take away for you? I would love to hear your thoughts below. Share your ideas on how you fuel your focus in the comments section below. #sharingiscaring
That's all I have for you today. Thank you for being the rockstar that you are.
Are you constantly procrastinating in your professional goals? Do you always question your choices as it relates to you being more visible in your industry?
If you answered "Yes" to any of those questions, I invite you to join me and a few of my friends for the in-person panel discussion and training class:
"Stop Stalling, Take Action: How to Follow Through More Confidently" LIVE Master Class on 11/16/17
"Stop Stalling, Take Action" event will take place:
November 16, 2017 in Fort Myers from 4 to 6 p.m. at Homewood Suites by Hilton Fort Myers, 5255 Big Pine Way, Fort Myers, FL 33907
You will walk away from the workshop knowing:
- How to shatter procrastination...for good!
- Five ways to dramatically boost your confidence in your professional world
- Steps to accomplish your business goals...FASTER
As an extra bonus...attendees will have a chance to meet like-minded professionals and community influencers.
If you are ready to stop stalling and start succeeding, What are you waiting for...Join us today! Sign up by clicking on the button below!
About Erica Castner:
Focused on the art of productivity and partnerships, Erica Castner is a business and breakthrough coach with a successful track record of helping thousands of businesses and entrepreneurs turn ideas and goals into results and accomplishments.
Castner offers workshops, as well as one-on-one coaching services, that are designed to help business professionals influence a group of ideal clients and ultimately enhance productivity, presence and partnerships.